The Audit and Investigations team provide internal audit, risk management, insurance, investigation and enhanced employee vetting services to the council and is a part of a shared service with Hounslow.
The internal audit work which is provided in close partnership with PWC delivers approximately 1,600 audit days per annum.
The Investigations team deals with all types fraud allegations such as corruption, theft and various other deceptions against Ealing. This service works very closely with services and deals in excess of 500 investigations a year including:
- Corporate fraud matters in relation to offences committed by employees;
- Procurement fraud by employees, contractors or other third parties;
- Fraud within schools;
- Housing related fraud;
- Council tax single persons discount (SPD) fraud.
In 2016/17 the Audit & Investigations team:
- Applied 38 sanctions which led to the loss prevention and notional savings of £800k;
- Developed and implemented a revised risk management framework across the council that was ratified by the Audit Committee;
- Has been successful in the prosecution under the Proceeds of Crime Act which has resulted in confiscation and compensation orders totalling over £149k;
- Delivered 100% of planned audits on time working in conjunction with partners PWC.